Just Reinvest NSW has developed a Pre-Budget Submission for the NSW Budget 2018-2019.
We are calling on the NSW Government to:
Adopt a new model of investment to reduce the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander prison population
- Invest an additional $60 million over 2 years into early intervention, prevention and diversionary programs (an upfront investment of the amount of savings that will be generated as a result of a 5% reduction in the prison population – a conservative estimate of the reduction in the prison population as a result of criminal justice reforms).
- Adopt and implement policy and legislative reforms recommended in the Just Reinvest NSW Policy Paper #1: Smarter Sentencing & Parole Law Reform to immediately reduce the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander prison population in NSW and free up resources for reinvestment.
- Report annually on the impact of reforms to the criminal justice system (implemented under the Criminal Justice Reform Package and as recommended by Just Reinvest NSW) and the savings generated as a result of those reforms, and from 2019-20, annually reinvest a portion of those savings into a justice reinvestment fund for early intervention, prevention and diversionary programs to reduce Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander offending, reoffending and imprisonment.
- Allocate sufficient resources to community-based programs and supervision particularly in regional and remote areas, to ensure that reforms aimed at increasing the use of community- based orders and decreasing the rate of breaches of sentence and parole conditions are effective in reducing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander imprisonment and reoffending rates.
- Allocate $6.35 million over 5 years for a Justice Reinvestment Framework for NSW as part of the Department of Justice’s strategy to address the overrepresentation of Aboriginal people in the criminal justice system (currently in development).
Provide $6.35 million over 5 years to establish a framework for community-led justice reinvestment in NSW
- Invest $900,000 in existing community-led justice reinvestment trials.
- Provide $200,000 over 2 years for community engagement and scoping work to assess and prepare other communities for justice reinvestment trials.
- In 2019-20, invest $1.5 million over 5 years to establish a non-government justice reinvestment coordination and oversight body to coordinate and support community-led justice reinvestment.
- In 2019-20, invest $3.75 million over 5 years to support three community-led justice reinvestment trials across NSW in partnership with philanthropic, corporate and not-for-profit partners.
Read our full submission here.